The Word Bank Paris office opens at 67 Rue de Lille.
The World Bank had regular, if not constant, representation in Paris from the beginning of its operations. Visiting Bank staff liaised with European governments and other financial institutions and international organizations. As time went on, Paris-based staff would be responsible for carrying out information programs, arranging for the sale of Bank securities in Europe, and performing administrative functions and hosting duties for visiting Bank senior management. In January, 1948, however, Royall Tyler, the Bank's representative of the Treasurer in Paris, did not have a permanent office. In a memo to Bank Treasurer Daniel Crena de Iongh, Tyler described a possible location for a new World Bank Paris office at 67 Rue de Lille. Bank Vice President Robert Garner visited the location during a visit in June 1948 and recommended to Bank President John McCloy that the site was appropriate. By the time the Bank's permanent Paris office opens in December, 1948, the Bank will have appointed Grant Forbes to Paris as a liaison between the World Bank and the Economic Cooperation Administration (ECA) and the Organisation for European Economic Cooperation (OEEC). In September 1950, Drew Dudley joins the Paris Office to perform public relations and, specifically, to begin preparations in advance of the Annual Meetings taking place in the city in September 1950.
An article titled "The Story of the Paris Office" is on pages 1 and 2.
July 6, 1948
President McCloy informs the Bank's European representative that the Bank will lease the first floor of 67 Rue de Lille (1502521).
Jan. 1, 1949
Cards, in English and France, indicate that the Bank has moved to its new address (1502521).
Nov. 17, 1948
Vice President Garner gives Royall Tyler authorization to arrange for telephone services in the Bank's new Paris office (1502521).
On page 22-23 of the transcript, Twining mentions Aron Broches's role in the creation of the Paris Office.